The Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation ZNBC is a strategic institution in the country operating as a statutory body under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Services (MIBS).
The National Public Service Broadcaster established pursuant to section 3 of the Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation Act, Chapter 154 of the Laws of Zambia. It is the oldest, widest in coverage and largest radio and television service provider and was transformed from a government department called the Zambia Broadcasting Services under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Services into a statutory body by the Act of 1987. The Corporation operates diffusion services across three radio channels namely Radio 1, Radio 2 and Radio 4 and two Television channels namely TV1 and TV2 with plans to introduce new channels.
ZNBC is mandated to deliver an unparalleled public value proposition of educating, informing and entertaining all Zambians by means of radio stations and television channels.The Corporation is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Zambia and was established on 1st April, 1988 as a Public Service Broadcaster the precursor to the Zambia Broadcasting Services (ZBS).The Corporation’s core responsibility is to provide Radio and Television broadcasts throughout the country. The Corporation’s other role is to provide signal distribution to other broadcasting stations.
The Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation is an enactment of Chapter 154 of the laws of Zambia, which establishes the Corporation and details its role and respective functions, as stated in section 3 of the Act.
The functions are stated below:-
- Provide varied and balanced programming for all sections of the population;
- Serve public interest;
- Meet high professional quality standards;
- Offer programmes that provide information, entertainment and education;
- Contribute to the development of free and informed opinions and as such constitute an important element of the democratic process;
- Reflect, as comprehensively as possible, the range of opinions and political, philosophical, religious, scientific, and artistic trends;
- Reflect and promote Zambia’s national culture, diversity and unity;
- Reflect human dignity and human rights and freedoms and contribute to the tolerance of different opinions and beliefs;
- Further international understanding and the public’s sense of peace and social justice;
- Defend democratic freedoms;
- Enhance the protection of the environment;
- Contribute to the realisation of equal treatment between men and women;
- Broadcast news and current affairs programmes which shall be comprehensive, unbiased, and independent and commentary which shall be clearly distinguished from news;
- Promote productions of Zambian origin; and
- Carry on or operate such services including diffusion services and undertakings as in the opinion of the Board, are conducive to the exercise of its functions under the ACT.
ZNBC has a vision which clearly identifies the direction in which the Corporation aims to take. It also states its desired customer/client base. The vision is what the organisation wants to achieve and it is an articulation of what the organisation aspires to be.
“To be the broadcaster of 1st Choice serving public interest”
“To provide quality Radio and Television services throughout Zambia in order to stimulate cultural, social and economic development while generating commercial value and attain financial viability for the Corporation.”
The mission is derived from the statutory mandate as stipulated in section 3 of the ZNBC Act, Chapter 154 of the Laws of Zambia as amended by Acts No. 20 of 2002 and 16 of 2010 which defines the functions to be performed under delegated authority.
Core values are the fundamental beliefs of an organization. The core values are the guiding principles that dictate behaviour and action that creates an unwavering and unchanging guide. The core values of the Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation ZNBC include:
- Responsibility – ZNBC strives to be diligent distributor and disseminator of entertainment, education and information as entrusted by the law,
- Professionalism – ZNBC carries out business professionally, always using best practice as its guide;
- Integrity – ZNBC demands the highest ethical standards in its dealings with all our stakeholders and the public at large;
- Decent Work Environment – ZNBC cultivates a working environment that encourages staff to aspire for excellence and to identify and exploit initiatives for personal advancement; and
- Citizenship – ZNBC is a good corporate citizen always working in the best interest of the Country.
- Team Work – ZNBC works as a team and balances staff and business needs, whilst promoting pleasant attitude and cooperation among workers.
- Innovation and creativity – ZNBC Unleashes and harnesses Individual’s inventiveness and resourceful minds regardless of status in achieving Corporation objectives.